The IEC 'Hodson' Light Box and Optical Kit has been copied in many countries around the world, but the original is still the best quality and the best value for money.
The comprehensive kit of parts permits many experiments in basic optics and colour blending. It is designed to take the rough handling of students and the unique lamp socket holds a 12Vx30W QI lamp. The socket permits one Light Box to be plugged into another so two boxes can run together.
The banana plugs on the cables are stackable and moulded to the cable.
The lens adjuster cannot be removed by students.
The mirrors are efficient and are virtually unbreakable. 3x slit formers provide multiple rays and the sets of 8x colour filters and plates are heat resistant.
All parts are available individually including the famous 3 tiered styrene foam storage housing.
NSW Physics Syllabus Reference
Module 3: Light and Thermodynamics
Ray Model of Light
- Conduct investigations to examine qualitatively and quantitatively the refraction and total internal reflection of light (ACSPH075, ACSPH076)
- Predict quantitatively, using Snell’s Law, the refraction and total internal reflection of light in a variety of situations
- Conduct a practical investigation to demonstrate and explain the phenomenon of the dispersion of light
- Solve problems or make quantitative predictions in a variety of situations by applying the following relationships to:
- 𝑛𝑥 = 𝑐 𝑣𝑥 – for the refractive index of medium 𝑥, 𝑣𝑥 is the speed of light in the medium
- 𝑛1 sin 𝜃1 = 𝑛2 sin 𝜃2 (Snell’s Law)
- sin 𝜃c = 𝑛2 𝑛1