The PS-3227 Wireless Sound Sensor is two sensors in one wireless package: a sound wave sensor capable of measuring relative changes in sound pressure level as a function of time, and a sound level sensor with both dBA and dBC-weighted scales.
Sound Wave Sensor: The Sound Wave Sensor measures relative changes in sound pressure level as sound waves are incident on the sensor. With graphs of the sound wave measurement versus time, students can explore and analyze wave properties like wave shape, wave speed, amplitude, frequency, wavelength, and much more. Students can use this sensor to explore superposition of waves and beat frequencies, while also exploring standing wave harmonics, and the presence of overtones. Sound wave measurements work beautifully with the scope and FFT displays in both SPARKvue and Capstone, and the Wireless Sound Sensor is capable of measuring sound wave data wirelessly at sample rates up to 100 kHz.
Sound Level Sensor: The Sound Level Sensor gives you true sound level (intensity) measurements with both dBA and dBC scales. The dBC weighting scale measures the intensity of sounds in a wide range of frequencies within, and outside the frequency range of human hearing. The dBA weighting scale filters some of the sound frequencies from a sound source to more closely match the frequency response of the human ear. The dBA scale is commonly used in the workplace to determine the sound level an employee will experience in typical working conditions. Sound level and noise pollution are key measurements in environmental science. This new sensor gives you a wireless solution to measure sound level with all the capability of a sound level meter, but adds the flexibility of recording data continuously as a function of time.
- Wireless and portable
- Wirelessly measures sound wave data at high sample rates (100 kHz)
- Two sound sensors in one (sound wave and sound level)
- High quality sensing element intended specifically for laboratory experiments
- Connects seamlessly to Scope and FFT displays in both SPARKvue and PASCO Capstone software
- Threaded 1/4-20 socket for easy mounting and alignment/positioning
- Loudness, sound intensity, and the decibel scale
- Sound wave properties and characteristics
- Measure the speed of sound with an echo
- Fourier transforms and sound wave analysis
- Human ear response and frequency dependence
- Observe and measure beat frequencies
- Telephones and dial tones
- Resonance and standing waves in a closed or open pipe
- 1x USB charging cable
- 1x Threaded handle for mounting the sensor to a ring stand